Ingredients (10 servings):
|3||extra large eggs|
|10 ml||vanilla extract (2 tsps), divided|
|120 g||sugar (8 Tbsps), divided|
|125 g||self-rising flour (1/2 cup) or 125 g cake flour (1/2 cup) plus 5 g (1 tsp) baking powder|
|7.5 g||gelatin (1 1/2 tsps)|
|60 ml||boiling water (4 Tbsp), divided|
|30 g||instant coffee powder (2 Tbsp)|
|155 ml||skim milk (1/3 cup plus 5 Tbsp), divided|
|350 g||low-fat small curd cottage cheese (1 1/2 cups)|
|10 g||cocoa powder (2 tsps)|
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 180° C (350° F). Spray a 260 x 160mm (10 x 6 in) glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and 5 ml (1 t) vanilla extract until thick and creamy. Gradually add 60 g (4 T) sugar, beating just until the sugar dissolves.
- Fold the sifted flour into egg mixture just until combined. Do not over mix. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- Mix gelatin into 30 ml (2 T) boiling water and stir until all lumps are dissolved. Cool for 5 minutes.
- In another cup, dissolve coffee in 30 ml (2 T) boiling water; add 80 ml (1/3 c) milk. Pour evenly over the cake.
- Mix the cottage cheese, 75 ml (5 T) milk, 60 ml (4 T) sugar and 5 ml (1 t) vanilla extract with an electric mixer until smooth. Continue blending and gradually pour in gelatin, mixing until well combined.
- Pour cottage cheese mixture over the cake and coffee mixture. Sift cocoa over the top.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours before cutting into 10 servings.
Nutritional values per serving:
Recipe and picture taken from the low GI, low fat recipe book by registered dietitians Gabi Steenkamp and Liesbet Delport, Eating for Sustained Energy 3 (Tafelberg).